Welcome to my FlamingFurnace, backyard metal casting blog.

Hi everyone, I mainly focus on metal casting projects using recycled scrap aluminum and other accessories in the pattern creations.
Aluminum is a very versatile material and I would like to promote the awareness of aluminum recycling via different metal casting projects.

Feel free to check my YouTube channel where I provide detailed explanations, tips & tutorials for best backyard aluminum casting methods, homemade foundry equipment & of course the importance of safety when working with molten aluminum.

So remember recycle and Enjoy my blog ;-)

November 08, 2010

Aluminum ship is finished

Finally all the parts are ready the next thing to do is grinding all the extra aluminum from the pouring. I used a grinder for cutting off the extra big chunks, metal chisel then sand paper (600 grit), after coarse metal wool and finally a fine metal wool. I could keep on polishing until it will look like a mirror but at the moment I am happy with the way it looks.
To attach all the parts I used a metal adhesive after all its just going to sit on the shelf. Another option is using aluminum welding or very small screws to attach all the parts.
I used the star trek insignia as a base for the ship drilling a 5mm hole for the metal rod.